European Origins of the American Gossetts

New Evidence from Conventional Genealogical Research

1. Evidence of Gossetts in America before Jean or Pierre could have arrived (continued)

Sons of John Gossett and Jane Williamson of New Castle County, Delaware

In 1736, a John Gossett is granted land in Cumberland County, PA (present day Franklin County) “land where he is already living.”  According to the Newcomer book, this is Jean Gosset, the immigrant from Jersey Isle.  We believe him to be John Gossett, son of John and Jane of New Castle County, DE. 

In January of 1739/40, William and Jacob Gossett had land surveyed in New Castle County. The land was called “Brothers Portion,” and part of the document reads, “including an improvement made by John Gossett the father, deceased (in consideration whereof the parties concerned desire the above surveying be returned in the name of William and Jacob Gossett the sons).”  [Click here for images of original documents.]   Jacob is most certainly the same man as James mentioned in the 1729 will.  "Yaaqobh" was, of course, a prominent Biblical patriarch;  "Jacob" is the form of this name used in German and Dutch, while "James" is used in the English language.

It should be noted that son John Gossett who was left “the last land taken up” in the 1729 will of John Gosard (Gossett) is absent at the 1739/40 survey.  He either died or had moved elsewhere. It seems reasonable to assume that he is the John Gossett who is granted land in Cumberland County, PA in 1736. More research will be required to prove or disprove this, but the YDNA evidence (reported here  and in a later page of this section) strongly supports a close genetic relationship between descendents of John of PA (e.g., Charles Warren), and those of John of New Castle County, DE (e.g., Jeffrey Lynn).

Location of the Gossett land in New Castle County

The Gossett land in New Castle County was on Blackbird Creek in what is known as the Appoquinimink Hundred: 

The Appoquinimink Hundred is the portion of New Castle County south of Appoquinimink Creek, extending westward from its headwaters to the Maryland state line, and north of Blackbird Creek and Cypress Creek, a tributary of the Chester River.   However, before 1875, it also included what was later split off as the Blackbird Hundred (the area south of Blackbird Creek and Cypress Creek down to Duck Creek [now known as the Smyrna River]). 


With the generous and essential assistance of a New Castle County researcher, Pamela Cawood, we have located – beyond any reasonable doubt – the site of the Gossett land described in the 1739/40 survey.  Click here for more information, maps, and photos.

Return Home              Previous Page              Next:  Descendants of James